Hey all! Even though I really need to be studying right now, here’s a song that is reminding me that there will be life after exam! And that summer’s not over yet!
Here are my favorite (mostly, kind-of art-related) things that I am into this week! I will post these round ups every Friday, since I’ve always loved them so much from other blogs. Enjoy!
(Friday photo above by Mel Mijares called ‘Here Comes The Sun’.)
1. Super cool wobbling wall of nine cubes origami DIY.
2. The Design Exchange! (a design museum in Toronto! How did I not know this existed?!?)
3. Joy the Baker’s things she’s learned in 30 years… Love her.
4. Film: Beautiful Losers
The punk-art movement in San Fransico and New York in the 80’s.
5. I’d rather be short. Damn straight.
I can wear heels as high as I want! And thank you, I will go gangbusters. (Thanks Tracy Shutterbean!)
6. Ira Glass (the creator of This American Life podcast) quote. Thanks Ira, you’re the best. (And, put into video form by David Shiyang Liu)
“Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.”
― Ira Glass
You can also watch the whole video of his talk here.
7. Katie Shanahan’s online comic. So cute and funny, and her illustrations are awesome. Also, she’s from Canada!
8. The Thonet Chaise Longe, c. 1910
(one of the many variations that were made)
9. I think I am totally the last person that was invited to the grooveshark.com party, but anyway, grooveshark is pretty great. You make an account and can basically listen to any song you’ve EVER WANTED (spice girls, no scrubs, the arkells, fidy(50cent)…) online. Its like listening to music on youtube, except better. And they make suggestions for you. And you can keep your playlists if you make a free account. And it loads a bit faster than youtube if you are listening to a long song. Although, there are no fingers of Charlie on grooveshark… (What a gem..)