During exam time this past semester at school (Spring 2012), I totally was so deep into this idea of surrealistic, British-1920’s flapper (which, in my oppinion is totally a different take on the American 1920’s style… Downtown Abbey shows it SO well), mysterious-enchanted-forest theme… Here’s some of the stuff that was all up in my head..
This kind of dissonant, over-indulgent 1920’s feeling is a very popular idea and is often how I have found the 20’s to be portrayed. Whenever you see these famous 1920’s-set films, they always take place in glamourous cities, showing off the wealth of the time period. But something like the enchanted, unsettling forest of Snow White or Harry Potter would be an awesome combination with this shiny, chaotic, over-indulgent 1920’s vibe. I think the disorder and confusion of a forest, with the corruption and chrome-finishings of the 1920’s era is such an interesting combination.
1. The have redone “The Great Gatsby“! I do not know if this is a crime or not, but visually, the trailer looks incredible. Also, Leonardo de Caprio, in my humble opinion is such a fabulous actor.
2. To me, this song is the soundtrack of this inspiration board. I once knew how to play this piece on the violin, but sadly, after not practicing for awhile I have lost it. Either way, (although not from the time period in question) an incredibly intresting Debussy Sonata for violin and piano.
3. Downton Abbey. Just, if you haven’t seen this show yet, see it. I started watching it before the hype was going crazy all over the place, but I honestly think its worth all the hype. Stellar cast, character development, costumes, historical details and cultural accuracy, writing, sets… And the 1920’s vibe that’s coming onto the show for the end of the second season/beginning of third season is pretty awesome.
4. Salvatore Dali paintings. ‘The Persistence of Memory’, ‘Elephant Reflection’, unknown. (If any of you know the name of that last painting, please let me know!)
5. Thoroughly Modern Millie – the second movie I think of, when I think of the 1920’s. Julie Andrews is so cute in this!
6. Ralph Lauren Spring 2012 this spring did a very 1920’s inspired line, with these amazing hats in pastel colors, and just the flowy-est evening wear… All that silk detailing! SAwoon
7. Tamara de Lempicka portrays the 1920’s in her dark stylings so well. here.
(Click on all images to go to their original webpages.)